in the garden of the mind...

...where thistles threaten and daisies dance

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Me and Barry

So I picked up the new man in my life on the side of the road today. ( I have a feeling this is some kind of foreshadowing for how our relationship might end. )
Barry White is a '94 chevy cube van that I will be spending the next week with. He is smelly and shakes a lot when he's going over 45m/h. It was a startling change to leave my sleek convertible with a/c for this bizarre artifact from another civilization. But it was worth it. He makes me laugh and listen to fuzzy country music over the tinny radio. In fact I get a sweet calf workout just pushing the peddles.
Today before I left Pensacola I took a quick detour to the beach. I spent a solid two hours basking in perfection and hot, wet sun. It was unreal. The Gulf of Mexico is surrounded by miles and miles and miles of flawless white sand beaches. In fact I'm bringing tiny pieces of that beach right into bed with me. Sand is stuck everywhere. I stayed clear of the interstates today and enjoyed the hilarious scenes that finds you on back roads in southern united states. Mansions with stables beside trailerparks. What do they all have in common? American flags. I felt like I was driving back in time...plantation owners and cotton pickers all still living side-by-side.
I finally came to highway 90 and it took me nearly 80miles before I put road construction and more road construction together. There are remnants of that hurricane everywhere. It's scary. Driving into new orleans is like driving into a fake model version of america made in china. Everything new and exactly the same. But no proper trees.
I crossed three borders today and finally arrived in New Orleans about an hour ago. I was warned to stay clear of this place, so don't tell my mom.
Accents are awesome even when everyone refers to you as "mam"
Peaches taste like something when you purchase them from roadside stands in Alabama.
I'm pooped and sleeping until I get kicked out of this deliciously cold room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home