in the garden of the mind...

...where thistles threaten and daisies dance

Monday, April 9, 2007

Freedom Time

In light of recent events, namely the remembering of the sacrifice of my supposed saviour, it would seem that my life is in need of significant analysis. How could it be that I slipped back into the swampy marshes that line the higher road without noticing the murky water seeping into my shoes and muddying my clothes? How can it be that I forget in an instant the truth which sets me free, and chose instead to shackle myself to the lies that would keep me chained to sin and frustration?
So here I am. At a loss for good excuses as I've used them all before - as I am no longer a stranger in this cycle from holiness to hopelessness. How do I climb up out of my self-inflicted swampland and reclaim my freedom? How can I think I'm still entitled to it?
And I guess that's what grace is - God loving me hopeless and sorry and bashful as I mess his gleaming white kitchen with my muddy boots.
"you see the depths of my heart and you love me the same..."
(scary thought considering the depths of this particular heart)

James 1: 21- 27
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

So, no big deal. Just have to keep myself from 'being polluted by the world'. Thank James - I'm sure that will be a piece of cake.

Rebel. Or are you satisfied? -Lauryn Hill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I wasn't the only one deeply affected by church on Sunday? Good to know. I am the queen of muddy boots in a white kitchen, so don't feel bad.

April 9, 2007 at 5:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home