in the garden of the mind...

...where thistles threaten and daisies dance

Sunday, May 27, 2007

spoke too soon

I should know by now to stop talking.
If I'm not talking, I'm not setting myself up to be wrong.

Europe is off - I know, it seemed unlikely, but it's for the best. Ma mere has only one (one!!) chemo treatment left, and there is no reason to sabotage her recovery by exposing her to every snot nosed kid on the plane, in the airport, and in all of bloody damp, dank, England for the sake of a quick vacation before radiation. I think cancer has finally dampened our fun, but it really took a long time. I think we (specifically my mom) has done a great job of having a brilliant time despite. In fact, my first blog entry was the day she got her wig. And that was a fabulous day. Really, chemo and cancer have been great excuses for lunch dates and missed classes and green ginger tea dates at Starbucks (though I've missed the copious amounts of wine we used to drink). All in all, I'd say cancer 1: Carroll family 18. We're kicking ass. Plus, who wants to go to the UK in the spring?

Also - I had a beer today. I don't regret it for 1 second. It's been the best evening of my spring so far. I drank it with one of my top 2 favorite people, sniffing lilacs and berry cigars, watching the sun dip behind the Idylwyld bridge. It was a perfect way to spend my Saturday evening. I didn't even mind that Mark brought Jose the dog... maybe I don't hate hairy beasts as much as I once thought.

I'd say the novel is going well, but I'm taking a less fatalistic approach. I'll say nothing and hopefully my silence will not impede its progress.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shantelle said...

Oh babe, I'm so sorry. I know how much you wanted to go. I'll give you a call later today, love you sooo much.

May 27, 2007 at 10:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home