in the garden of the mind...

...where thistles threaten and daisies dance

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And the World Will Never be the Same

Hope is a funny thing: without it life is meaningless, dark and full of fear.
I've been a touch short of it for lack of faith or courage.
I've been afraid of mortality, afraid of failure but mostly afraid of hopelessness itself. It can eat you whole if you let it; it can suffocate you.
But suddenly, in the past few weeks, I've discovered that faith is actually being sure - being bold in what you hope for; it's living like the future is bound to be brighter. And faith cures hopelessness.
Tatiyana spoke with me at church on Sunday. She was nervous and anxious and scared. And so was I. To be honest, until the moment we stepped onto the stage I thought she'd back out. But she didn't. She spoke loud and clear and proud. People were fumbling in their pockets for money faster than she could say her lines. I've never been more proud, never been more pleased to be part of her life - she's not 12 and already claiming her bright future. And the world will never be the same because Tatiyana Tootoosis will not become a coke addict, a prostitute or another nameless face in the soup kitchen. The world can never be the same place it might have been before she stepped onto the stage and became the beginning of the person she was destined to be.
Callie, her sister, has never lived in the limelight. She is the silent cheerleader, the backstage mom. She's been raising her sister and her brother and her mother since she was 9 - and this weekend she shed some of that heavy baggage of being old before her time. And the world can't be the same world anymore - where kids must grow up instantly. There's still time for a brief fling with childhood.
I just turned nearly a quarter century yesterday. Birthdays always make me pensive and sentimental and in my musings I realized that I'm outrageously fortunate. Not only for the obvious reasons of privilege, economics, and sheer luck - but the less obvious ones like finding something to be completely passionate about, and knowing how you can contribute your own small part to saving the world.
I can never make the world a better, more considerate, more tolerable place - but I sure can help two girls who might never have had an education believe that they can change the world. And I have faith - really sure to the bottoms of my feet faith - that they can change the world. And so on account of that - the world is no longer what it once was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home