in the garden of the mind...

...where thistles threaten and daisies dance

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

tick-tick-tick

This ancient ticking clock is perhaps the most infuriating background noise of all time.
So long as I have something going on, a word to say, or anything to do - I can't hear it. But in this moment of silence it nags at my empty thoughts...tick-tick-tick.
As I sit here tonight in my dad's basement (where I'm babysitting my dad) I am feeling bleak sentimentality seep into my cold feet.
Tick-tick-tick.
This ticking clock feels like foreshadowing for whatever lies on the other side of this evening, this night, this morning. I can't help but feel a certain sense of dread as each moment passes.
Tick-tick-tick.
It's hard to believe that I had a 'normal' life only 4 months ago. I would have never dreamed that my mom would get cancer, and have surgery, and lose her hair; or that my dad would get a blood clot and have hemorrhaging and hernias and look sicker and sicker by the day; or that school would end, and that all the while life would keep tick-tick-ticking right along as though none of this was of any consequence.
And perhaps it isn't. It's just a blip - a few ticks of this ticking time bomb.
I just can't help but feel a slight twinge of uneasiness. I'd just hate to waste one of those moments that tick by so easily, steadily - I'd hate to waste any what with so much life to be lived.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shantelle said...

Hang in there little lady. You are amazing and strong and I think this is a little bit of a glitch but you will all get through it and life will be all good again. Thanks for your comment on my blog....unfortunatly it only lasted 1 day. My stuff got stolen today and now I'm pissed off again, haha. Kidding. I get to be reunited with you in 7 weeks and that's enough to keep me smiling!

May 2, 2007 at 7:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home